- Pay increase for hourly paid store colleagues means minimum hourly rate will rise to £10.50 across the UK and to £11.50 in London (increasing to £10.80/£11.80 after six months)
- Almost 10,000 UK store colleagues to benefit from fourth increase in 18 months
- Over past 18 months Currys has increased UK minimum hourly rates by 17%
- New six-month skills development program will allow store colleagues to gain transferable new skills
15 March 2023, London - Currys plc, the UK’s largest omnichannel technology retailer, has today announced an additional rise for hourly paid store colleagues in the UK. Rates will increase rom £10.35 per hour to £10.50, the fourth rise in the last 18 months. Currys can also reveal that the average store colleague bonus is 89p per hour, with top earners making up to £3 per hour, so all store colleagues are able to earn considerably more than the hourly rate. With the average hourly bonus added on, average hourly pay will rise to £11.39 per hour.
“We know that investing in our colleagues is the most important thing we can do, especially with the continued cost-of-living crisis. This latest increase means that we are one of the highest paying retailers in the UK. I am really proud that we can continue to show our support for our amazing capable and committed colleagues, who are our magic ingredient, and at the heart of everything we do. We know that happy colleagues make for happy customers and happy shareholders too”Paula Coughlan Chief People, Communications & Sustainability Officer at Currys plc
In addition to this rate increase, Currys can reveal that colleagues who’ve passed a six-month onboarding and skills development program, and are performing well will see their minimum hourly rate increase to £10.80p per hour (£11.80 in London). Currys is committed to investing in the future skills of its store colleagues, with its ground-breaking learning program. Colleagues will attend interactive training sessions and workshops to support them in every aspect of selling and serving customers.
The six-month program also allows new store colleagues to build confidence and competence through a host of skills that will not only support their time with the retailer, but are also transferable, supporting lifelong employability for the individual and playing an important role in seeding critical skills into the UK economy.
Currys also has a wide range of valuable colleague benefits including:
- Uncapped bonus potential with our top performers earning up to an additional £3 per hour
- Extensive wellbeing support including on demand support from Champion Health and access to mental health first aiders. If colleagues want to speak to someone, the company has trained over 1,200 colleagues who are on hand to listen. They have been given the tools to listen and signpost colleagues to the right support.
- Colleague discount – 10% off selected products in-store and online and 20% off care and repair services
- Perks at Work, colleagues can save between 3-5% every week on shopping at major grocers such as Asda, Morrisons and Sainsburys.
- Financial Wellbeing, Guides and tools to manage money from Currys’ partner Salary Finance. Salary Finance may also be able to help improve Currys colleagues’ financial situation with responsible financial products. Currys also offers crisis loans for colleagues facing hardship.
- Currys’ Employee Assistance Programme can offer counselling on budgeting, credit cards, pensions or savings. It's a free and fully confidential service, available to colleagues 24/7.
Capable and committed colleagues are Currys’ greatest advantage and the business continues to upskill, multi-skill and reward its colleagues who are passionate and knowledgeable about tech, and proud to sell and serve customers.